logo Home Contact Resume Writing Technical projects Scout restoration Vintage computing

Interested in developing high-performance embedded systems on a shoestring budget? Click the image above to buy my first book from Amazon! See the homepage for info on my other books...

Day 3 - Finished the Headlamp, Painted the Air Cleaner

(unless otherwise specified, all images in this page can be clicked to view a MUCH larger version).

12/11/05 - Warmer today, but still definitely chilly. My first goal was to see if yesterday's epoxy headlight fix is sturdy enough. I also want to find replacements for those headlight bulbs. The front of the bulb says "T-3" in a triangular logo. Searching for that leads me to this classic Chevrolet site. The illustrated product is actually a set of four bulbs, though, for cars with separate high and low beam spaces. I think the correct part for the Scout is this 1958-72 hi/lo bulb. Or, if you want halogen, use this 1958-74 bulb. Note that this site also carries this aiming kit. The plastic parts aren't right for the Scout (although epoxy and perseverance could make them right), but the screws look to be identical - if you're missing them, perhaps this would be useful.

Anyway, after some coaxing it all went together again:

I did a very quick and dirty aiming job, and it seems to be holding nicely. The truck no longer looks like it's got a lazy eye ;)

Next, the air cleaner. Someone painted this with an acrylic paint which has been flaking off. I wirebrushed off everything loose and painted it with Rustoleum BBQ black high-temperature paint:

Hmm. Grrr. It's too cold for the paint to settle properly. So the top plate of the air cleaner is going to have very pronounced brush marks on it. Maybe I will sand it off and redo it properly when the weather is warmer. At least I finally found a use for those junkmail electronic engineering magazines. (Note the advertisement on the page facing the oil pan; ironic, n'est-ce pas?).

Penetrating oil is fantastic stuff. A quick spritz and five minutes to soak, and the nuts for the seatbelt latches spun right off.

Now the belts are the right way around and my wife is less worried about traveling in this beast.

The last thing I looked at was how to get at the leaking gas tank senders. Initially it looked easy - just undo about eight bolts to remove a sheet inside the wheel well, and I ought to be there. But no - those bolts go into (unattached) nuts on the other side. I'm not sure I can hold the other side firmly enough to unscrew everything :( Anyway - that is DEFINITELY a project for another day.

Go on to Day 4... and all original content herein is © Copyright 2005 by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards. "" is a trademark protected under U.S. and international law. Infringement or attempted dilution of the intellectual property rights held by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards will be prosecuted to the fullest possible extent.